Where Did The Castillejos Name Came From?
According to the Historia de Filipinas by Agustin Cava (Manila 1876), Castillejos became a pueblo in 1743. It was first known as Uguic, later Uguic, until January 24, 1863, when the town was given a new priest and its present name. Uguit was also known as Visita to residents of San Marcelino and San Antonio because during that time, the priest from Subic came over to celebrate mass on certain days of the week and to perform marriages and baptisms. People from surrounding environs flocked to Visita for these religious rites
Castillejos has an area of only 8,649 hectares (second smallest municipality). Most of the residents are farmers. Other sources of livelihood are poultry raising, fish culture, citrus growing, handicraft and furniture making.
The town became world-famous as the hometown of the late President Ramon Magsaysay, known as The Guy or Man of the Masses. Its claim to fame does not stop here, however. It also has interesting tourist spots to offer like Lake Looc, Nagsango ng Bato Waterfalls and Mt Balaybay or Calvario ng Cruz of the Holy Week flagellants.
In 1901 the Americans after establishing civil government in Zambales placed Castillejos, San Antonio and San Marcelino under one administration with the seat of the government situated in San Marcelino. Difficulties in the implementation of laws, however, contained in the report of the Governor of Zambales, paved the way for Castillejos to break free and become and independent municipality in 1910.
Why Uguit Was Renamed Castillejos
The town in Zambales were named after the Governor General, San Narciso was named after Narciso Claveria, San Antonio after Antonio Blanco and San Marcelino after Marcelino Ora. But when Uguit became Castillejos, the Governor was Rafael de Echague, so it must have been named after another great man.
In the Spanish Moroccan War of 1859-1860, a famous battle took place in a valley called Castillejos, thru which the Spanish Army was to pass in its drive toward the Moroccan capital. General Juan D. Primo Parts was in command of the Spanish Forces, ordered a regiment to occupy a certain position and hardly had they put down their knapsacks on the ground and command firing when the enemy was upon them. The attack was forceful that the Spaniards were pushed back leaving behind their knapsacks. Upon seeing what happened, General Primo seized the flag of the regiment from the color bearer and shouted;
"En equallas monchilas esta vuestro honor: venid a rescatario o voy a, pror emte los moros con vuestra bandera." (In those knapsacks lies your Honor, come and recapture them or I will die among the morons with their own flag).
The soldiers, galvanized into an action, charged at the moros and wrested the lost territory. The battle which lasted the whole January 1860 cost the 9,000 Spaniards 672 dead against 2,000 killed of the 22,000 envoy. The victory was so glorious to the Spanish people that a musical pieces was made Calles the "Batalia de Castillejos" and General Juan Primo y Prata was made Margues delos Castillejos and noble of first Rank.
Two years, ten months and twenty three days after his elevation as Marques, the town of Uguit took on its present name of CASTILLEJOS.